Istanbul Self-Guided Mobile Walking Tour
What to expect
- It is an outdoor activity that combines walking and learning!
- Explore the city at your own pace.
- Learn fascinating facts and stories about the city and its attractions.
- Let the route reveal hidden gems and places.
- Have the best walk of the city and visit 10 of its most important attractions.
- Stop to snap pictures as you go.
- Start or pause the tour whenever you want. See the city at your own pace.
- This is our route recommendation in a walkable distance!
- Mobile app and login credentials
- Self guided tour
- Walking time : 76 mins
- Walking distance : 5.8km
- Supported languages: English, German, Spanish, Italian, French, Dutch
- Museum admission fees: Visits to museums and other attractions do not require a ticket, as you will visit their outdoor areas. Admission is purely your choice.
Not suitable for…
- Wheelchair users
- People with mobility impairments
- Unaccompanied children
What to bring
- Weather-appropriate and comfortable clothing and shoes
- Charged smartphone
- Internet connection
What you need to know about Istanbul Self-Guided Mobile Walking Tour ?
- No one will be waiting for you anywhere, it’s just you and your smartphones!
- You can start the tour anytime, any day, every day! You can even pause your tour and resume later or any other day within a year !
- You can use one language per serial number. If your group is multilingual, you will need to buy more than once if you need more languages.
- There is no time limit for the tour. You can complete it at any time at your own pace.
- You will be reading and not listening to the information.
- The tour can continue on the same day or another day if it is interrupted.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Istanbul Self-Guided Mobile Walking Tour
Starting location: Sultanahmet square
Ending location: Galata Tower
You will visit:
Obelisk of Theodosius
Tomb of Abdul Hamid I
Hagia Sofia and more
If you are interested in other cities, you can find all of our tours here
Embark on a captivating journey through the heart of Istanbul, a city that straddles two continents and boasts a history as rich and diverse as its vibrant culture. In this self-guided walking tour, we’ll lead you through ten remarkable locations, each offering a unique perspective on Istanbul’s historical tapestry. From iconic landmarks to hidden gems, let’s explore the treasures that make Istanbul an unparalleled destination for an unforgettable day of exploration.
- Sultanahmet Square: The Heartbeat of Istanbul
Begin your adventure at Sultanahmet Square, the bustling heart of Istanbul. Surrounded by monumental structures and lively energy, this square sets the stage for your exploration. As you stand in the midst of history, take in the impressive views of the Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, and the historic Obelisk of Theodosius.
- Blue Mosque: A Jewel of Ottoman Architecture
Wander towards the Blue Mosque, officially known as the Sultan Ahmed Mosque. Marvel at its magnificent domes and six towering minarets that grace the Istanbul skyline. Step inside to admire the intricate blue tiles that give the mosque its name and bask in the serenity of this sacred space.
- Obelisk of Theodosius: Ancient Egyptian Marvel
Venture to the nearby Obelisk of Theodosius, an ancient Egyptian monument that has stood tall for over 3,000 years. Learn about its fascinating journey from Egypt to Istanbul and uncover the stories depicted on its weathered surface. The Obelisk is a testament to the city’s rich history as a center of trade and cultural exchange.
- Topkapi Palace: A Royal Retreat
Proceed to Topkapi Palace, the former residence of Ottoman sultans. Explore the opulent courtyards, lush gardens, and ornate chambers that echo with the whispers of centuries past. The palace offers a glimpse into the grandeur of Ottoman life and the political intrigue that unfolded within its walls.
- New Mosque: A Symbol of Ottoman Glory
Head towards the New Mosque, an architectural gem that stands as a testament to Ottoman magnificence. Admire the imposing dome, elegant minarets, and the intricate tilework that adorns the interior. The New Mosque is not only a place of worship but also a visual feast for those appreciative of Ottoman aesthetics.
- Galata Bridge: A Crossing of Continents
Cross the iconic Galata Bridge, a structure that spans the Golden Horn and connects the European and Asian sides of Istanbul. Stroll along its pedestrian walkway, where local fishermen cast their lines and vendors offer traditional street food. The Galata Bridge offers panoramic views of the city’s skyline, making it a perfect pause in your walking tour.
- Galata Tower: A Beacon Over Istanbul
Ascend to the Galata Tower, an iconic symbol of Istanbul that has stood sentinel over the city since the medieval period. Enjoy panoramic views from its observation deck, capturing the sprawling metropolis, the Bosphorus, and the historic peninsula. The Galata Tower provides a breathtaking perspective on Istanbul’s past and present.
- Bank Museum: A Glimpse into Financial History
Visit the Bank Museum, housed in the former Ottoman Bank building. Explore the exhibits that narrate the financial history of Istanbul, from the Ottoman era to the present day. The Bank Museum offers a unique perspective on the economic evolution of the city and its role as a financial hub.
- Vilayet Mosque: Architectural Harmony
Wander towards the Vilayet Mosque, an architectural gem that showcases the harmony of Ottoman and Islamic design. Admire the intricate details of the mosque’s facade and step inside to experience the tranquility of its prayer hall. The Vilayet Mosque is a lesser-known treasure that adds depth to your exploration.
- Tomb of Abdul Hamid I: Royal Resting Place
Conclude your self-guided tour at the Tomb of Abdul Hamid I, a serene complex that serves as the final resting place of the Ottoman sultan. Explore the beautifully adorned tomb and reflect on the legacy of Abdul Hamid I. The peaceful surroundings offer a moment of contemplation amid the city’s bustling energy.
- Hagia Sophia: A Masterpiece of Architecture
Round off your day at Hagia Sophia, an architectural masterpiece that has witnessed the ebb and flow of empires. Explore the grandeur of this former cathedral and mosque, now a museum that stands as a testament to Istanbul’s multicultural history. Admire the stunning mosaics, towering dome, and the sense of awe that permeates this historic structure.
Istanbul, with its amalgamation of history, culture, and architectural wonders, beckons you to explore its multifaceted identity. This self-guided walking tour invites you to uncover the city’s hidden gems, from awe-inspiring mosques and palaces to ancient obelisks and modern museums. Immerse yourself in the cultural tapestry of Istanbul, savor its historical wonders, and let the city’s unique blend of East and West guide you through a day of enchantment. Start your journey today, and let Istanbul’s rich history become a cherished part of your travel memories.