Madrid Self-Guided Mobile Walking Tour
What to expect
- It is an outdoor activity that combines walking and learning!
- Explore the city at your own pace.
- Learn fascinating facts and stories about the city and its attractions.
- Let the route reveal hidden gems and places.
- Have the best walk of the city and visit 10 of its most important attractions.
- Stop to snap pictures as you go.
- Start or pause the tour whenever you want. See the city at your own pace.
- This is our route recommendation in a walkable distance!
- Mobile app and login credentials
- Self guided tour
- Walking time : 60mins
- Walking distance : 4.5km
- Supported languages: English, German, Spanish, Italian, French, Dutch
- Museum admission fees: Visits to museums and other attractions do not require a ticket, as you will visit their outdoor areas. Admission is purely your choice.
Not suitable for…
- Wheelchair users
- People with mobility impairments
- Unaccompanied children
What to bring
- Weather-appropriate and comfortable clothing and shoes
- Charged smartphone
- Internet connection
What you need to know about Madrid Self-Guided Mobile Walking Tour ?
- No one will be waiting for you anywhere, it’s just you and your smartphones!
- You can start the tour anytime, any day, every day! You can even pause your tour and resume later or any other day within a year !
- You can use one language per serial number. If your group is multilingual, you will need to buy more than once if you need more languages.
- There is no time limit for the tour. You can complete it at any time at your own pace.
- You will be reading and not listening to the information.
- The tour can continue on the same day or another day if it is interrupted.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult.
Madrid Self-Guided Mobile Walking Tour
Starting location: Museo Nacional del Prado
Ending location: Royal Palace
You will visit:
Museo Nacional del Prado
Puerta Felipe IV
El Retiro Park
Puerta de Alcalá
National Archaeological Museum
plaza del sol
Mercado San Miguel
Plaza de Oriente
If you are interested in other cities, you can find all of our tours here
Madrid, the vibrant heart of Spain, is a city that seamlessly blends centuries of history with a modern and dynamic atmosphere. To immerse yourself in the soul of this cultural capital, embark on a self-guided walking tour. In this guide, we’ll lead you through ten captivating locations, each offering a unique perspective on Madrid’s rich tapestry. From world-class museums to iconic landmarks, let’s explore the treasures that make Madrid a must-visit destination for an unforgettable day of exploration.
- Museo Nacional del Prado: A Masterpiece Haven
Begin your daylong journey at the Museo Nacional del Prado, a world-renowned art museum that houses an exceptional collection of European masterpieces. Admire works by Velázquez, Goya, and El Greco as you wander through the galleries. This cultural gem offers a glimpse into Spain’s artistic heritage, providing a perfect start to your exploration of Madrid.
- Puerta Felipe IV: The Grand Gateway
Stroll towards Puerta Felipe IV, a majestic gateway that welcomes you to the serene beauty of El Retiro Park. The monument, dedicated to King Felipe IV, stands as a symbol of regality and sets the stage for the lush greenery that lies beyond.
- El Retiro Park: Tranquil Oasis in the Heart of Madrid
Enter the sprawling El Retiro Park, a tranquil oasis that contrasts with the bustling city surrounding it. Explore the tree-lined pathways, visit the crystal-clear waters of the Estanque Grande, and marvel at the stunning Palacio de Cristal. Whether rowing on the lake or simply relaxing under the shade of ancient trees, El Retiro Park offers a serene escape.
- Puerta de Alcalá: Iconic Landmark
Exit El Retiro through the majestic Puerta de Alcalá, an iconic neoclassical monument that has witnessed centuries of history. This monumental gate serves as a gateway to the vibrant district of Salamanca and sets the tone for the architectural wonders you’ll encounter throughout the day.
- National Archaeological Museum: Unveiling Ancient Treasures
Head towards the National Archaeological Museum, a treasure trove that takes you on a journey through Spain’s rich archaeological history. Explore artifacts from prehistoric times to the Roman era, gaining insights into the diverse cultures that have shaped the Iberian Peninsula.
- Cibeles Fountain: Symbol of Madrid’s Grandeur
Wander through the elegant Paseo del Prado to reach the iconic Cibeles Fountain, a symbol of Madrid’s grandeur. Admire the stunning fountain and the surrounding buildings, including the Palacio de Cibeles. This area serves as a vibrant hub, capturing the essence of Madrid’s cultural and architectural richness.
- Plaza del Sol: Madrid’s Vibrant Heartbeat
Continue your journey towards Plaza del Sol, Madrid’s central square and a bustling hub of activity. Marvel at the iconic Tio Pepe sign and the symbolic statue of El Oso y El Madroño. As the geographical center of Spain, Plaza del Sol pulses with energy, making it an ideal spot for people-watching and immersing yourself in the lively atmosphere.
- Plaza Mayor: Historic Splendor
Stroll towards the historic Plaza Mayor, an architectural masterpiece that has witnessed centuries of events and celebrations. The square’s symmetrical design, adorned with stunning frescoes and porticoed buildings, creates a timeless ambiance. Explore the shops and cafes that line the square, and absorb the rich history that permeates Plaza Mayor.
- Mercado San Miguel: Culinary Delights
Indulge your senses at Mercado San Miguel, a historic food market that tantalizes taste buds with an array of Spanish delicacies. From traditional tapas to gourmet treats, this market offers a culinary journey through Spain’s diverse gastronomy. Sample local flavors and savor the vibrant ambiance of this gastronomic haven.
- Plaza de Oriente, Royal Palace, and Royal Theatre: Majestic Trilogy
Conclude your self-guided tour with a visit to the majestic trio of Plaza de Oriente, the Royal Palace, and the Royal Theatre. Admire the regal statues in Plaza de Oriente, then proceed to explore the opulent Royal Palace, the official residence of the Spanish monarch. Continue towards the Royal Theatre, a cultural institution with a rich history of opera and performance.
Madrid, with its blend of art, history, and lively urban energy, unfolds as a captivating destination for those eager to explore its diverse offerings. This self-guided walking tour invites you to uncover the city’s hidden gems, from world-class museums to iconic landmarks. Immerse yourself in the cultural tapestry of Madrid, savor its culinary delights, and let the dynamic atmosphere guide you through a day of enchantment in this Spanish metropolis. Start your journey today and let Madrid’s unique charm become a cherished part of your travel memories.