Bergamo Old Town Self-Guided Walking Tour
What to expect
- It is an outdoor activity that combines walking and learning!
- Explore the city at your own pace.
- Learn fascinating facts and stories about the city and its attractions.
- Let the route reveal hidden gems and places.
- Have the best walk of the city and visit 10 of its most important attractions.
- Stop to snap pictures as you go.
- Start or pause the tour whenever you want. See the city at your own pace.
- This is our route recommendation in a walkable distance!
- Mobile app and login credentials
- Self guided tour
- Walking time : 22 mins
- Walking distance : 1.4 km
- Supported languages: English, German, French, Dutch, Spanish, and Italian.
- Museum admission fees: Visits to museums and other attractions do not require a ticket, as you will visit their outdoor areas. Admission is purely your choice.
Not suitable for…
- Wheelchair users
- People with mobility impairments
- Unaccompanied children
What to bring
- Weather-appropriate and comfortable clothing and shoes
- Charged smartphone
- Internet connection
What you need to know about Bergamo Old Town Self-Guided Mobile Walking Tour?
- No one will be waiting for you anywhere, it’s just you and your smartphones!
- You can start the tour anytime, any day, every day! You can even pause your tour and resume later or any other day within a year !
- You can use one language per serial number. If your group is multilingual, you will need to buy more than once if you need more languages.
- There is no time limit for the tour. You can complete it at any time at your own pace.
- You will be reading and not listening to the information.
- The tour can continue on the same day or another day if it is interrupted.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
Bergamo Old Town Self-Guided Walking Tour
Starting location: Piazza Mercato delle Scarpe
Ending location: La Marianna
You will visit:
Piazza Mercato delle Scarpe
Porta San Giacomo
Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore
Palazzo della Ragione
Piazza Vecchia Bergamo Alta
University of Bergamo
Piazza della Cittadella
La Marianna and more
If you are interested in other cities, you can find all of our games here
Nestled in the heart of Lombardy, Bergamo beckons with its timeless charm, rich history, and captivating architecture. In this self-guided walking tour, we invite you to explore the medieval streets, historic landmarks, and cultural gems that define the city’s allure. From the bustling Piazza Mercato delle Scarpe to the historic Piazza Vecchia in Bergamo Alta, and the hidden gem of La Marianna, each location on this itinerary promises a day filled with discovery. Join us on this virtual journey through Bergamo, where every step unveils a new layer of its enchanting tapestry.
- Piazza Mercato delle Scarpe: A Lively Square with Market Flair
Begin your day in Bergamo at Piazza Mercato delle Scarpe, a lively square that captures the essence of the city’s market flair. Explore the local shops, cafes, and stalls, and immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere. Piazza Mercato delle Scarpe sets the perfect tone for a day of exploration in Bergamo.
- Porta San Giacomo: Gateway to Historical Splendor
Wander towards Porta San Giacomo, a majestic gate that serves as a gateway to historical splendor. Admire the medieval architecture and learn about the gate’s significance in Bergamo’s history. Porta San Giacomo marks the beginning of a journey into the city’s past.
- Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore: A Marvel of Renaissance Architecture
Discover the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, a marvel of Renaissance architecture that stands as a testament to Bergamo’s cultural richness. Step inside to marvel at the intricate frescoes, ornate chapels, and the grandeur of the Basilica. Santa Maria Maggiore is a cultural treasure trove in the heart of the city.
- Bergamo Cathedral: Spiritual Elegance Amidst the Hills
Head to Bergamo Cathedral, a place of spiritual elegance perched on the hills. Explore the cathedral’s interior, home to remarkable artwork and relics. Climb to the terrace for panoramic views of Bergamo’s charming landscape. The Cathedral is a symbol of the city’s religious heritage and architectural splendor.
- Palazzo della Ragione: Architectural Grandeur in the Heart of Città Bassa
Venture into Città Bassa to discover Palazzo della Ragione, an architectural gem in the heart of Bergamo’s lower city. Admire the medieval facade and step inside to explore the halls adorned with historical artifacts. Palazzo della Ragione reflects the city’s historical and cultural significance.
- Campanone: Bell Tower Views Over Bergamo Alta
Make your way to Campanone, the bell tower that graces Piazza Vecchia. Ascend the tower for panoramic views over Bergamo Alta and the surrounding landscape. Campanone is not just a bell tower; it’s a vantage point that offers a unique perspective on the city’s layout.
- Piazza Vecchia Bergamo Alta: Medieval Splendor at the Heart of Bergamo Alta
Explore the historic Piazza Vecchia in Bergamo Alta, the medieval heart of the city. Admire the architecture of the surrounding buildings, including the Civic Tower and the Palazzo della Ragione. Piazza Vecchia is a hub of activity, offering a range of cafes, shops, and cultural attractions.
- University of Bergamo: Academic Excellence Amidst Historical Surroundings
Visit the University of Bergamo, an institution that combines academic excellence with historical surroundings. Explore the campus and appreciate the blend of modern education and historic architecture. The University is a reflection of Bergamo’s commitment to both progress and preservation.
- Piazza della Cittadella: A Tranquil Square with Artistic Flair
Wander towards Piazza della Cittadella, a tranquil square with artistic flair. Admire the sculptures and the charming surroundings, and take a moment to soak in the relaxed ambiance. Piazza della Cittadella provides a serene interlude in the midst of your Bergamo exploration.
- La Marianna: Hidden Gem with Culinary Delights
Conclude your self-guided tour at La Marianna, a hidden gem known for its culinary delights. Indulge in the flavors of Bergamo with a meal at this local favorite. La Marianna is not just a restaurant; it’s a culinary journey that allows you to savor the tastes of the region.
Bergamo, with its blend of medieval charm, cultural richness, and culinary delights, unfolds as a captivating destination for those eager to explore its diverse offerings. This self-guided walking tour invites you to uncover the city’s hidden gems, from historic squares and cathedrals to academic institutions and local eateries. Immerse yourself in the cultural tapestry of Bergamo, savor its historical wonders, and let the city’s unique charm guide you through a day of enchantment. Start your journey today, and let Bergamo’s timeless allure become a cherished part of your travel memories.